The National Association for Community Mediation (NAFCM) supports peacemakers by being the hub for advancing the work of community mediation, aggregating the wisdom of community mediation, and amplifying the voice of community mediators. NAFCM's purpose, as a membership association of peacemakers employing the practices and values of community mediation, is to help these peacemakers create safe spaces for the transformation of conflict to opportunities for engagement, resolution, and partnership through the work and will of the participants and those impacted.
NAFCM maintains a library (clearinghouse) of mediation-related materials from all over the world to support the work of its members. NAFCM’s Impact and Values Committee is in the process of reorganizing those materials in an effort to make the library more user-friendly.
Scope of Work
NAFCM seeks people with a background or interest in community mediation to assist with the reorganizing of library materials. This work can be done remotely and a reorganization protocol has been created by the committee. The extern will determine which library materials address one or more of NAFCM’s nine hallmarks and how those qualifying materials should be categorized within the new categorization protocol. Specifically, the job of the extern will be:
- Propose whether the item should be kept or retired.
- Determine under which of the newly proposed categories the item would fall.
- Determine whether new categories should be proposed.
- Change the item name to best describe the item.
Start and End Date
The work of the extern can begin immediately and the length of the externship can vary depending upon the availability of the extern. It would be expected, though, that the extern would complete an amount of work acceptable to NAFCM within the period of the externship.
NAFCM’s clearinghouse holds some of the best mediation-related materials to date. A review of these materials will provide the extern with an excellent overview of the many facets of community mediation and the field of dispute resolution. The extern will be given a 1-year student membership to NAFCM free of charge and thereby all membership benefits including:
- Member pricing on NAFCM events
- Free participation in NAFCM's Community Mediation Webinar Series & access to recorded archives
- Access to the NAFCM Clearinghouse
- Complete online directory profile, peer networking, and career center
- Use of the NAFCM Member logo on printed and online materials
- Access to NAFCM resources (staff and peer support)
To learn more about participating as a NAFCM extern, please contact D.G. Mawn at firstname.lastname@example.org.