The professional association for Classical Ombuds (those ADR professionals that hew closest to the Ombudsman model started 200 years ago in Sweden), will hold its annual meeting in Dayton, Ohio, October 6-8, 2010. The theme, "Soaring to New Heights: Innovations in Ombudsmanship," emphasizes recent developments in the field.
Sessions will include:
- Creative Case Strategizing (with focus groups for School Ombudsmen, Children’s Ombudsmen, Executive Ombudsmen and Legislative Ombudsmen)
- Demonstrating Our Value
- Dealing with Difficult People – Interacting effectively with challenging complainants and respondents
- Federal Ombudsman
- Gathering Information Through Interviews
- Ombudsman Offices and Elected or Appointing Officials: Short term or long lived relationship?
- Ombudsman Rationale to Decline or Discontinue Investigations
- Ombudsman and Vulnerable Populations
- USOA Standards
- The Values and Principles of Public Service
USOA will also present pre-conference educational opportunities: a two-day New Ombudsman Training; and a day-long session on Advanced Legal Writing and Editing presented by the renowned Bryan Garner, J.D.
Priority registration ends September 3, 2010. (USOA Conf. Registration Packet.)
Originally posted on the Ombuds Blog.