ADRhub.com Webinar (Jan/2013): Imported from Detroit: ADR Innovation in Detroit, South East Michigan and Ann Arbor

Imported from Detroit: 
ADR Innovation in Detroit,

South East Michigan and Ann Arbor

Presented by John Turley

The city of Detroit, of all the large metropolitan areas in our country, is probably best known for its high murder rate, all forms of crime and gang violence, urban decline and blight, as well as plant closings, layoffs and economic depression more so than for its economic growth and vitality. Our beloved Tigers lifted the spirits of the city and the suburbs and burned brightly all too briefly. And yet, despite its somewhat negative reputation, Detroit’s suburbs are emerging as hubs for innovation and forward thinking in the alternative dispute resolution field (ADR) out of necessity and the well-being of its people more so than as a well spring of abstract mediation ideas. My presentation discusses the most noteworthy of the many ways that mediators in Detroit, South East Michigan and Ann Arbor are venturing into the toughest areas of the city as ambassadors of mediation, negotiation, and ADR to prevent the outbreak of violent disputes at their source. This presentation will discuss how these initiatives may be replicated in other cities across america.

ADR Innovation in Detroit: Lessons Learned from The Werner Institute on Vimeo.

Presenter Bio:

John Turley

After a lifetime of corporate global sales with Fortune 500 Companies, I discovered my true calling in life, as well as my passion, in the field of facilitative mediation. I graduated from Creighton University’s Werner Institute in December, 2010 with a focus on healthcare mediation. The Creighton educational experience was excellent from every perspective, especially since the practical instruction came into play immediately. 

I further enhanced my alternative dispute resolution skills at the Wayne Mediation Center in Dearborn (Detroit), and the Washtenaw County Dispute Resolution Center of Ann Arbor, Michigan where I facilitate small claims, civil cases, probate, landlord/tenant, and family related disputes. My work at the two Michigan Alternative Dispute Resolution Centers is the basis for a recent article that I published about innovative ADR practices in Detroit and the subject of today’s webinar.

I approach the alternative dispute resolution field with vigor and commitment with a sense of evolvement. By this I mean, I continue to find new applications for mediation in both the private and public sectors. My area of specialization as a consultant includes resolving conflicts between disputing parties through facilitative mediation in the areas of corporate sales, marketing, supply chain management, IT infrastructure, and outsourcing.

In 2012, I launched Turley Mediation Group (TMG) to concentrate on saving time and money for corporate customers through mediation as opposed to litigation in the settlement of disputes. 

Views: 345

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The archive from our January webinar is now uploaded and ready for streaming. You can access it by clicking play on the video player above. It would be great to hear how the work in Detroit relates to the work happening in your region. If there are any innovations to expand the mediation practice in your region, please share it in this forum. Enjoy! Bryan

RSS

@ADRHub Tweets

ADRHub is supported and maintained by the Negotiation & Conflict Resolution Program at Creighton University

Members

© 2024   Created by ADRhub.com - Creighton NCR.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service