Human Resources Generalist JobApply now »
Date: Sep 21, 2011
Location: Columbia, MD, US
Human Resources Generalist
Department: Human Resources
Schedule: Full-time salaried with benefits
Shift: Day shift
MedStar Health’s Corporate Human Resources department is currently seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to join their team as a HR Generalist. The ideal candidate will be responsible for managing and performing various human resources activities for Corporate Office associates related to Employee relations, policy and practice, orientation programs, performance appraisal process as well as participates on committees and supports special projects at the request of Senior Leadership.
Duties include but are not limited to:
* Coordinates special projects, programs and annual functions such as the Vivian T. Thomas program, performance appraisal process, Employee Opinion Survey, Benefits Open Enrollment, etc.
* Facilitates discussion and resolution of issues between management and staff for grievance mediation, identifying and referring complex or legally sensitive issues to Vice President, HR or legal counsel. Guides managers on the performance management process.
* Manages the HR Newsletter (HR Fast Facts for Busy Leaders) for Corp, Shared and Diversified leaders. Develops the content list, writes articles, and coordinates supplemental submissions supporting the corporate Human Resources Department with system-wide employee communication and outreach efforts positioning and promoting Human Resources as a vital and credible strategic partner.
* Manages the John L Green Scholarship Program for the system. Includes program development and enhancements; communications strategies; community partnership with Morgan State University; facilitating the selection committee comprised of MSH senior leaders; and administration of the application process.
* Participates in meetings and on committees and represents the department, hospitals and MedStar in community outreach efforts.
* Completes special projects, as requested, related to research and analysis across the system and externally.
* Partners with associates and management in the application and interpretation of Human Resources policies, legal compliance, grievance and discipline problems.
* Participates in periodic reviews of policies, recommending policy enhancements. Stays abreast of changes in State, Federal and case law that have impact on our associate and/or candidate base. Drafts new policy/procedures as needed for effective HR operations.
To be successful, the ideal candidate must have:
* Bachelor's degree in Human Resources or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
* 5 years progressive human resources generalist experience.
* Requires a working knowledge of HR law/regulations, research, policy, and practice.
* Proven project management and organizational skill
* Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel software applications.
* Excellent mediation and counseling skills.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
In addition to professional and welcoming staff, MedStar Health offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental and life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous paid time off, tuition assistance, a retirement savings plan with company match and more.