The Alliance for Peacebuilding (AfP) is seeking to create a new Affinity Group for international mediators. The International Mediators’ Community of Practice (IMCP) will provide an informal platform for discussion between mediators, mediation trainers, and providers of mediation support services, who actively engage in international third-party conflict transformation, to share information, strengthen their skills, and improve their service delivery. The Affinity group will aim to improve the effectiveness of international mediation by providing support and guidance to practitioners.
Discussion topics will be identified by participants and could include:
· Defining and differentiating mediation from other peace-making processes
· Harmonizing underlying principles across mediation styles
· Mapping local mediation practices around the globe
· Exploring international mediation standards (UN, EU…)
· Identifying strategies for converging track-I and track-II peace-making efforts
· Designing context-sensitive mediation processes
· Strengthening local mediation processes
· Creating exit strategies without losing momentum
· Identifying culturally-sensitive communication skills to manager anger during mediation
If you are interested in participating in the platform, please send an email to Ursala Knudsen-Latta at Ursala@allianceforpeacebuilding.org by COB Friday, June 13, 2014.