Visualizing ADR and ODR

Moderated by Bill Warters

Many of us are visual learners and creative thinkers. Sometimes a picture is really worth a thousand words. In this forum, we'll focus on the ways that visualization techniques can help us build understanding of conflict processes and promote engagement with Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) and Online Dispute Resolution (ODR) tools and techniques. With your help, we'll try to illustrate some core ADR and ODR processes, visualize current trends, and make connections between various aspects of the work. In addition to conflict resolution processes, we might also explore ways in which visualization techniques are being used in the waging of social conflict, for instance in social change and human rights campaigns. Finally, we are interested in sharing examples of the use of visualizations when working with parties engaged in complex conflicts as a way to help them move closer to agreement or mutual understanding. Your contributions, both artistic and reflective, are welcome.

Hi Folks. Welcome to the Visualizing ADR/ODR Forum. Glad to have you with us. Here are some ways you can engage with the materials I have prepared and with your other Cyberweek colleagues.

1) Browse our Visualizing ADR/ODR Pinterest Board of more than 150 images for one that strikes your fancy or stimulates your theoretical juices or which just seems highly relevent to understanding ODR. Copy the image link or embed code into your forum comment (use the "html" button in the edit bar before adding embed code) and then explain what you find interesting about it, or the questions it raises for you.

2) Share your creativity. Contribute a post or two with graphics on ADR or ODR that you have created or remixed. Gather praise, feedback, or silent admiration from your peers.

3) Comment on other postings to this forum, keeping the conversation going.

4) Dive boldly into the Mural.ly image canvas I have created to organize some of the many available images. Here's the link: http://mrl.li/PxboS7

5) If you are feeling really creative (or maybe just curious), you can try your hand at editing a shared murl.ly page exploring Online Dispute Resolution. To get started, visit http://mrl.li/QLje7z and use the password "cyberweekrocks". You can drag and drop content from the web (or a Pinterest item from our collection perhaps, or a video, etc) or your computer, and modify mural as you need. Use the toolbar on the left to add stickers or text or shapes.

Looking forward to the week ahead. Thanks for joining in.

Sincerely,

Bill Warters

Moderator Bio:

Bill Warters, Ph.D., is a faculty member at Wayne State University’s Department of Communication where he teaches courses on social conflict, mediation, and communication technologies and conflict among others. He is webmaster of CREducation.org, a site supporting conflict resolution in educational settings and developer of a new iPad app for conflict resolution educators. More information on Bill's various projects can be found at www.campus-adr.net.

Return to Cyberweek 2012 Homepage

Views: 1573

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Okay, Time for another infographic. This one is based on data relating to disputes over domain names. Claiming "name spaces" online is a rather territorial matter and having a regulated system for managing these kind of conflicts is important. 

Source: scoop.it via Bill on Pinterest

I think sketchnoting isa really different and interesting way of learning things. All the examples I have seen so far about sketchnoting have been very entertaining and extremely informative. I wish I was able to draw better so I can do something like this. 

Charles - glad you brought up sketchnotes. I find it fascinating and memorable, but I too don't feel like I have the drawing abilities. On a related note, I had a friend that worked for years as a director of a community mediation center and he started collecting the "doodles" that parties made during their mediations on the pads of paper they were given. I think it would have been an interesting project to study this more academically. Doodles for stress release or as a sign of what people are seeing as most important, or as a measure of the day dreams disputants engage in.

Charles Kiernan said:

I think sketchnoting isa really different and interesting way of learning things. All the examples I have seen so far about sketchnoting have been very entertaining and extremely informative. I wish I was able to draw better so I can do something like this. 

Here's an experimental video I made to entice students thinking about taking my Communication Technology and Conflict class. It is made with Powtoon, which makes the creation of videos in this hand drawn explainer style pretty easy. Ideally, I would have added a soundtrack and narration, but it is pretty good as an initial example of what can be done.

This is such a creative topic and discussion forum--thanks Bill and all who have contributed!  I have had the pleasure and honor of collaborating with others internationally on several projects as part of the Art of Conflict Transformation Event Series that I direct at U. of Massachusetts (Amherst). 

The Art of Conflict Transformation Gallery sponsored by odr.info houses images in conjunction with the Event Series which is designed as a platform to bring together scholars, artists, and conflict resolvers to explore the geography of conflict; the spaces in and on which conflict has been imprinted and expressed, and the emerging terrains of resistance, resilience, and transformation.  From 2008-2010, the Event Series focused on the conflict in and around the north of Ireland/Northern Ireland.  The mural tradition there (with close to 2000 murals), created during The Troubles, captured the significant issues surrounding the conflict; and since the Belfast Agreement, new ones have continued to reflect the important issues for the communities transitioning to peace.  Leading Republican and Loyalist muralists have begun to paint together and you can see an archive of their work and this project at:  http://mural.umasslegal.org/

In 2011-2012, Art of Conflict Transformation Event Series focused on women’s acts of resistance to human rights violations in a number of conflict zones throughout the world through their creation of political textiles.  The vast majority of the textiles exhibited were made by women in conflict zones in a number of regions across the globe.  A small number were made by women as acts of resistance in solidarity as witnesses at a distance.  The exhibit,Transforming threads of resistance: political arpilleras & textiles by women from Chile and around the world, can be viewed at the online gallery at: http://blogs.umass.edu/conflictart/

I look forward to hearing about projects others have going.

I appreciate this discussion forum and the use of visuals in our conflict resolution work. Y'all visual work is amazing. Thanks for sharing here.

Leah,

I'm so glad you are chiming in here, sharing the work you have highlighted and encouraged via the Art of Conflict Transformation project. Using art as a way to bring together oppressed people and grow in solidarity or bring together former opponents who can work together on a shared new vision is really great stuff and it highlights the power of the arts in general.  Here's a couple images I pinned that point back to the larger project sites.

Women Chained to the Parliament Gates - Fabric art from the Art of Conflict Transformation Project

Here's one of the images from the Painting from the Same Pallet project depicting a jointly painted mural painted by artists whose communities were previously at war. 

Leah Wing said:

This is such a creative topic and discussion forum--thanks Bill and all who have contributed!  I have had the pleasure and honor of collaborating with others internationally on several projects as part of the Art of Conflict Transformation Event Series that I direct at U. of Massachusetts (Amherst).

Very cool stuff in this forum. Loving the infographics, hand-drawn posters, the use of mural.ly, etc. This is right up my alley and it's awesome to come across such talented, and like-minded, visual practitioners!

There are lots of ways to get involved in this forum. As a reminder, below is the list I came up with. Anybody want to be a leader and pick an image for us to discuss from the Visualizing ADR Pinterest Board?  It could be great....:-)

1) Browse our Visualizing ADR/ODR Pinterest Board of more than 150 images for one that strikes your fancy or stimulates your theoretical juices or which just seems highly relevent to understanding ODR. Copy the image link or embed code into your forum comment (use the "html" button in the edit bar before adding embed code) and then explain what you find interesting about it, or the questions it raises for you.

2) Share your creativity. Contribute a post or two with graphics on ADR or ODR that you have created or remixed. Gather praise, feedback, or silent admiration from your peers.

3) Comment on other postings to this forum, keeping the conversation going.

4) Dive boldly into the Mural.ly image canvas I have created to organize some of the many available images. Here's the link: http://mrl.li/PxboS7

5) If you are feeling really creative (or maybe just curious), you can try your hand at editing a shared murl.ly page exploring Online Dispute Resolution. To get started, visit http://mrl.li/QLje7z and use the password "cyberweekrocks". You can drag and drop content from the web (or a Pinterest item from our collection perhaps, or a video, etc) or your computer, and modify mural as you need. Use the toolbar on the left to add stickers or text or shapes.

While we are waiting for other image pickers/sharers, let me offer this mindmap spelling out the Insight Model of Mediation, one the newer articulations of mediation's process and goals. The framework is being developed by colleagues at the Centre for Conflict Education and Research at Carleton University in Ottawa Canada.

You can also view an interactive mindmap of various models of mediation that I built (if you have flash) that includes the Insight model and more.

Attachments:

Hi Bill we publish Visualizino ADR ODR in Odr Latinoamerica cyberweek 2012 spanish chapterª!

All the best

Alberto

http://odrlatinoamerica.ning.com/profiles/blogs/infografia-sobre-ad...

Odr latinoamerica contribution:

RSS

@ADRHub Tweets

ADRHub is supported and maintained by the Negotiation & Conflict Resolution Program at Creighton University

Members

© 2024   Created by ADRhub.com - Creighton NCR.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service